Sticky Toffee Pudding
Our thanks to Deana of Victoria, BC for sharing this recipe with us.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Natrel unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for greasing pan
- 1 cup self-rising cake flour plus additional for flouring pan
- 1 cup pitted dates, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup Island Farms by Natrel 18% table cream
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F, butter & flour 8”x2” cake pan.
- Simmer dates in 1 cup water in heavy saucepan, covered, until soft, about 5 mins.
- Let stand 5 mins.
- Beat together 1 stick butter & 1/4 cup brown sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer at medium-high speed until light & fluffy, then add the egg until combined.
- Add flour & 1/8 tsp salt, mix at low speed until just combined.
- Add dates & coffee granules, mix until just combined well.
- Pour batter into pan and bake, about 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining stick of butter in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stir in remaining brown sugar, cream, & a pinch of salt.
- Stir over moderate heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved & sauce is reduced to about 1 1/4 cups, 2 to 8 mins.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Transfer pudding in pan to a rack and poke all over at 1-inch intervals with a chopstick.
- Gradually pour half of warm sauce evenly over hot pudding.
- Let stand until almost all of sauce is absorbed, about 20 mins.
- Run a thin knife around edge of pan.
- Invert a plate over pudding and invert pudding onto plate.
- Pour remaining warm sauce over pudding and serve immediately.