Mile High Biscuit Strawberry Shortcakes
Our congratulations to Sarah Reynolds for submitting this recipe for Mile High Biscuit Strawberry Shortcakes in our Free Island Farms Milk Contest. This recipe earned her free Island Farms Milk for a Year! This recipe is published as submitted. We haven’t tried it ourselves. We invite you to try it and let us know what you think.
- 500 g (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 20 mL (4 tsp.) baking powder
- 15 mL (1 Tbsp.) sugar
- 2.5 mL (1/2 tsp.) salt
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) shortening
- 1 egg
- 165 mL (2/3 cup) Island Farms buttermilk
- 247 mL (1 cup) Island Farms whipping cream
- 30 mL (2 Tbsp.) fresh mint, finely chopped
- 500 g (2 cups) fresh strawberries, top cut off and halved
- Start by preheating your oven to 230°C (450°F).
- Then combine your flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt with a whisk in a large bowl.
- Next cut in your shortening.
- Combine your egg and buttermilk in a small bowl and then add this to your flour mixture.
- Stir the dough together and then empty your dough onto a floured countertop and knead about 10 times.
- Form your dough into a long rectangle and cut it into 12 even pieces.
- Bake at 230°C (450°F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until the biscuits rise a mile high and begin to turn brown.
- Let your biscuits cool for a bit as you prepare your whipped cream, berries, and mint.
- Finally halve a biscuit on a plate, top it with some whipped cream, berries, and mint.
- Cover with the other half of your biscuit and enjoy!